Application for Children

The age of a child is an important factor in order to determine the eligibility of child to migrate to Canada. If the sponsor has not included the child in the initial application of permanent residency then the child will be barred from being sponsored to Canada.

If you are eligible, you can sponsor your dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada. For further information please contact us and we will render the required assistance as the case may be.

Only a kid who is dependent on parents can immigrate under the family class program.

The eligibility criteria for sponsoring a child are that the sponsor should:

  • be either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada residing in Canada
  • meet certain income requirements
  • make sure that support them financially
  • make sure that they don’t need social compensation from the government
  • provision for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

The child must meet the definition of “dependent child” in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) in order to be considered a member of the family class.

The law has evolved in that regard and currently sets specific requirements for who may qualify as a dependent child.

  • The child is under the age of 22 and they do not have a spouse or a common-law partner; or
  • The child is 22 years of age or older and they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition and have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22.

Additionally, in order to be eligible for sponsorship, you must be sponsoring your own child, or the child of your spouse/partner. However, if you are sponsoring your spouse/partner’s child who is not your child, then you must be sponsoring your spouse/partner at the same time. Please note that Canada has a separate process for sponsoring adopted children.

The processing time may vary depending on the country of residence.