Lonely Family Member Sponsorship

Application for Lonely Family Member Sponsorship

This type of visa enables Canadian citizen or permanent resident to sponsor an extended family member to immigrate. If that extended family member is married or has children, the person being sponsored can bring their immediate family with them to Canada. As well, the person being sponsored has to be related to the sponsor by blood.

The person sponsoring the relative to come to Canada must be able to render necessary financial support while the relative(s) are entering into Canada, fulfil their basic needs and to ensure that the sponsored relative does not rely on social assistance.

You can sponsor an orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild only if they meet all of these conditions:

  • blood relation or adoption by person sponsoring;
  • if their mother and father passed away;
  • under 18 years of age and
  • single (not married or in a common-law or conjugal relationship)

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident cannot sponsor a relative who is inadmissible to Canada.

This type of visa is governed by regular rules and regulations of sponsorship. The Canadian sponsor would need to furnish an undertaking to the Government of Canada confirming that the sponsor would financially support and be responsible for their relative for a period of 10 years after they immigrate.